Thursday, December 9, 2010

Contentment

"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. "

Joe finished up his series on Philippians last night in youth group and it was a really great message and created some good conversation in my small group. Just thinking through if we are content or are we always wanting more or bigger, better...
Also in the rest of Phil. 4 - we discussed if we are giving sacrifically - even at their age, in high school. Really good things to think through. How awesome is it to be storing up treasure in Heaven instead of on earth, where moth and rust destroy.
If you are struggling with contentment - I recommend the below book along with others by Lydia Brownback - I also read "Trust" and her new ones are Joy and Purity, which I need to check out as well.
But these "Trust" and "Contentment" books really helped me through some difficult times - when Joe was in school, through our miscarriage, not knowing if we would move away or stay here, seeing others with children and wishing we had our baby, not knowing if we should buy or rent - big and little things. They were simple one a day readings that meant a lot to me. I highly recommend them!

1 comment: