Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The best pot pie


Saw this recipe in one of my magazines and am so glad I tried it - DE-LISH!

Joe is not big on casseroles, salads, pot pies...anything where things are mixed together really :) So he did not try it - but I brought out the leftovers (along with some freshly baked homemade mac & cheese) for our friends on Saturday night and it was a big hit with them too! So if you happen to be the "pot pie type" - here's the recipe: (See my notes below recipe)

Chicken & Sweet Potato Pot Pie


Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil, plus more for the dishes
  • 1 large onion, chopped 
    localoffersIcon
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 pound(s) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 (2- to 2 1/2-pound) rotisserie chicken
  • 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup(s) dry white wine
  • 2 cup(s) low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup(s) frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 cup(s) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon(s) freshly grated or ground nutmeg
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 large egg, beaten
    Directions:

    Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil four 12-ounce ramekins (each about 4-inch round) or a 9-inch pie plate.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.Meanwhile, shred chicken, discarding skin and bones; set aside.Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in wine and then broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken, peas, parsley, tarragon (if using), and nutmeg. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins (about 3/4 cup each). Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 4 pieces of puff pastry (or cut out one large circle). Place pastry on top of ramekins (or pie plate).Place pot pies on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush pastry with egg and if desired, using a sharp knife, cut three slits in top of each piece of pastry. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

Read more: Chicken and Sweet Potato Pot Pies Recipe - Woman's Day 


*Rachel's notes: I have never bought a rotisserie chicken but I found boneless chicken thighs in my freezer so I boiled & shredded that instead, I did not have fresh parsley so I used cilantro, I did not have white wine, so I used cooking sherry, and I did a whole pie instead of ramekins...I think that's all! The flavors were amazing, will definitely make again - maybe even with cilantro instead of parsley again!! YUM!






Recipe from the March edition of Woman's Day


source

No comments:

Post a Comment